Also I got the chance to speak with the surgeon that's on-call this week. He was younger and had much better bed-side manner than the previous surgeon. He explained to me why he likes to wait (if they can, and in Williams case they can) till babies are 3000 grams (6 lbs 9 oz). He's seen babies have much better outcomes, and less likely for the nissen part of the procedure to come un-done if we wait till 3000 grams. Also he even said with the progress that William is making we will need to re-evaluate him when he gets to that weight because he may not need the procedure any longer. His gag is becoming more and more regular, and the doctor even told me Sunday when I was visiting that he saw a gag every time he tried, that it was a medium gag, but that there was a gag. So for now the surgeon said he was going to put down the scalpel and back away from the baby.
In other news I noticed some jitteriness on Saturday while visiting that I hadn't seen previously, in various parts of his body, especially the eyes, and it's unclear to me if this was normal newborn immature nervous system, or if it was seizure activity, so since I was told he's on the lowest dose of the phenobarbital for his weight and he's grown, it's possible his levels are too low, so I asked the doctors to check this, and they plan to check the levels Monday am. I didn't see any of the same jitteriness on Sunday though, so that's good, but I'm still glad they are checking the levels.
Keep praying for William to make improvement!